Cajun BBQ Chicken Rice Bowl
with Spinach, Cheese and Crispy Onions
Boxes and ingredients are packed in facilities that handles Peanut, Nuts, Sesame, Fish, Crustaceans, Milk, Egg, Mustard, Celery, Soya, Gluten and Sulphites. Due to the war in Ukraine, it has been necessary to substitute sunflower oil with rapeseed oil in some products without a label change. The FSA have advised that allergic reactions to rapeseed oil are rare.
Diced Chicken Thigh
Cajun Spice Mix
Chicken Stock Paste
Grated Hard Italian Style Cheese
(Contains Milk, Egg)
(Contains Cereals containing gluten)
Not included in your delivery
Water for the Sauce
- Boil a half-full kettle.
- Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Once hot, fry the chicken, 5-6 mins. Season with salt and pepper. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and utensils after handling raw meat.
- Meanwile, once the water is boiling, pour it into a saucepan with 0.25 tsp salt on high heat.
- Boil the rice, 10-12 mins. Once cooked, drain, pop back in the pan and cover.
- Once you've fried the chicken, stir in the Cajun spice, tomato puree, chicken stock, sugar and water (see pantry for both).
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer, 3-4 mins. IMPORTANT: Cook so there's no pink in the middle of the chicken.
- Once the chicken is ready, add the spinach in handfuls, making sure it's piping hot, 1-2 mins.
- Stir in the BBQ sauce, butter (see pantry) and half the cheese until combined. TIP: Add a splash of water if it's a little too thick.
- Share the rice out between your bowls.
- Spoon the chicken over the rice.
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and crispy onions.